The When I Dream board game, created by Ludonaute and co-produced by Asmodee, is a fun, creative game that is centered around the notion of dreams. In the game, one player is called the dreamer and all the other players are in their role as seers. The dreamer closes their eyes and places a comfort mask over their face to make them comfortable while they imagine strange dream situations that the seers must guess. Players then take turns being the dreamer as they reveal pieces of what kind of object or situation they are imagining until another player can make a correct guess. The first team to earn seven points wins!
When I Dream has become extremely popular since its launch in 2018, with many people across all age groups competing against each other to try and be the best in guessing dreams. Individuals such as athletes, actors/actresses, public figures, and game enthusiasts have publicly expressed how much they love playing this game. It has even been featured at major events like Spiel des Jahres in 2019 where it received nominations for Best Game Design.
When I Dream board game is a collaborative party game for 3 to 6 players. Players take on the role of dreamers and are guided by a storyteller in a night filled with secrets, emotions, and adventures. The aim of the game is for everyone to try and guess the dream symbols before time runs out.
To begin, each player starts with a set of 10 dream tokens (these will show pictures or symbols of different familiar objects such as flowers, keys, or stars). Then they take an equal number of cards from the deck and shuffle them. The cards will have words like “mystery”, “danger”, “adventure” written on them. One player takes on the role of storyteller and reads out their chosen card aloud. This gives everyone an idea what kind of dream they should be trying to imagine together.
As the storyteller continues reading out different cards one-by-one, all other players use their dream tokens to assemble into something that represents that theme or concept that was just read out – for example if the storyteller read out “mystery” all other players might start putting together their tokens which could look like a keyhole or a door handle ” whatever fits best.
Once all players have put together their own personal drawing representing that particular theme using their tokens it’s time for everyone to start guessing together. Starting with the storyteller each person will take turns explaining what their drawing represents and why they think it matches up with that words from the card ” once anyone guesses correctly then they get to take another turn at coming up with another word/drawing combo. There is no correct answer so every player is free to be creative! The winner is whoever collects 5 correct answers first!
Setting Up the Game
1. Start by gathering the game components: one Dream Board game board, four playing pieces, 50 dream cards and 50 star cards.
2. Place the board in the center of the table. The top of the board will be the entrance to the Dream Room and features characters such as dream catchers, unicorns and shooting stars.
3. Distribute the star cards evenly among all players. All players should have an equal number of cards. Each star card is a wish that counts towards a player’s dreams so they can reach their goal and win the game.
4. Place each playing piece on the entrance of the Dream Room (this is indicated on each piece). Then, provide each player with three dream cards ” these will help them achieve their dreams in order to collect more stars towards their winning goal!
5. Choose who goes first ” this is usually done by rolling a special die or having each person take turns counting down from 5 and whoever stops at 1 goes first!
6. Now you are ready to start playing!
Rules of the Game
1. Gather the players: The game is for 2-5 players, ages 7 and up.
2. Each player will choose a Dreamer card. Dreamer cards list each person’s goals, resources and obstacles they must pass to get to their dream.
3. Give each player a Dream Dice Roll Sheet and token piece to mark their progress on the board.
4. Place all 6 dice in the plush cube bag and shake them up to randomly select your dice roll each turn- all players take turns rolling the cubes during their turn as indicated by the board.
5. Players then move around the board using their token markers to match a goal, resource, or an obstacle listed on their Dreamer Card- in which case players stop at the corresponding space where ever their token lands when rolling for that turn.
6. Players collect “Dream Cards” with details of rewards or setback events if applicable ” this will further enhance the range of possible outcomes from movement on the turn sequence in increments of 1,2,3 or 4 spaces as indicated by rolling dice selections – this can be beneficial as much as it may be mildly detrimental from progressing forwards towards your final goal objectively conquered via completing your specific assigned dream mission outlined by your initial dreamer card selection made prior for starting up play before any turns have been rolled out in total cumulative progress throughout entire game play session sequence until it is finally won upon clearing out the last term set alone depicted once again on one’s very own previously selected and identified particular assigned identified Dreamer Card selected early at beginning while opening setting up game itself just prior before commencing through with playing out through entire length of game evenly until single determined success recognized accordingly and jointly across this table full of all players held entertained here at hand properly now conducting itself simultaneously celebrated in complete pleasure collected via wide array short duration refreshing format outing guaranteed!
When I Dream board game is a fun and exciting cooperative game. The goal of the game is to identify whether the hidden dream cards are positive or negative before your other teammates do.
Advanced Strategies: When I Dream can become even more fun when players attempt advanced strategies that help them win the game faster and uncover dream cards quicker. One good strategy to use is to pay close attention to the symbols on each card during the guessing round. If you remember which symbols appear in a dream card, then you can narrow it down as to what type of card it might be and make guesses more quickly. Another strategy for managing surprise surprises is to always guess cards in pairs rather than one-by-one. This improves your chances of getting two cards right with one guess, which increases your lead and puts you ahead of other competitors.
Specific Strategies to Outsmart Opponents: It goes without saying that the goal is not only to figure out the correct dream card but also to outsmart your opponents in the process. To do this, try focusing on any inconsistencies within their answers as well as patterns they may be exhibiting while giving clues or making guesses. Additionally, listening carefully throughout every turn will also give you key insights into what dream cards they may be thinking of and help you come up with creative ways to beat them in guessing accuracy and speed. By combining all these tactics together, playing When I Dream board game becomes an even more thrilling experience.
Variations of the Game
Regional Variations: Many players have taken the time to develop local variants of When I Dream based on geography and cultural heritage. For example, Italy has seen one of its main players create a variant which places more emphasis on mimicking player movements. This has been adopted by many other Italian players as an additional way of playing the game.
Tournaments: Game developers have held international tournaments to encourage avid fans and competitors to play the game in their own area. Players must follow a specific set of rules defined in each tournament; and must adhere to an agreed-upon playing schedule. The winner is determined by who can score the most points across multiple rounds of play.
Special Rules: In addition, some popular regional variants may feature specialised rules to increase competition or enhance the overall gameplay experience. For example, some variations may award bonus points for certain trick plays or builds that require extra thought or skill. Some special rules focus on expanding player strategies through different ways of scoring points (such as cooperative builds instead of competitive ones). Special rules can also add unique twists such as allowing players to swap their tokens with those of other players when it’s their turn, adding an element of bluffing into the game.
When I Dream is a board game that is perfect for those who love teamwork and mystery! It’s an easy-to-learn game that requires a bit of strategy. The objective of the game is to identify which ‘Dreamer’ among your team has had a dream by using creative clues.
The game consists of 5 ‘Dreamers’ (players), 8 Dream cards, 60 Clue cards, and Clue Point tokens. To start the game, each player will be randomly assigned as either a Dreamer or Seer. The Dreamers remain unaware of their identity and close their eyes while the Seers must stay awake throughout the game.
Each clue card holds a noun such as an item, person, place, animal or an object – these clues are used to help narrow down the identity of the Dreamers by elimination. The Seers must use strategy when distributing clue cards amongst themselves so that they can recognize their own Dreamer in three guesses or fewer.
When it is revealed who has had the dream, both teams receive points based on how many clues were used to figure out who “had” the dream ” with less being better ” where loose points are given for wrong answers. When one team acquires 8 points first, they win! Additional winning strategies involve playing smart with your Guesses and Points Tokens. After each round you can collect more Points tokens depending on how quickly you figured out who “had” the dream but don’t forget that correct guesses also give your team extra points! Going beyond 3 guesses means you lose both time and points so careful strategizing is key!
Get ready for some exciting adventures into your dreams As you enjoy this great game with friends or family and get racing to see who can reach eight Points first!!
I love playing all kinds of games – from classics like Monopoly to modern favourites like Ticket to Ride.
I created this blog as a way to share my love of board games with others, and provide information on the latest releases and news in the industry.