Drinking board games have been around since ancient times and were used as a way to bring people together while entertaining and indulging in a little bit of fun. Ancient games, especially those from Egypt, used symbols mainly associated with beer and wine drinking as part of their entertainment. These symbols showed up on certain spaces on the game board where players would drink as part of their turn.
In more recent centuries, drinking board games became popular for groups of friends who wanted to have a good time without having to visit a bar or party. So-called “pub games” often involve strategy and luck combined into one game that can satisfy even the most experienced drinkers. A variety of classic board games such as Snakes & Ladders and Chess have been adapted into drinking versions over the years, becoming timeless favorites in bars across Europe.
Today, DIY drinking board games are becoming more accessible due to an increase in technology tools such as printable templates, apps, and websites which allow users to customize how they want their own game to look and feel. This is an exciting development that gives people an easy way to create fun memories without having to leave the house or buy expensive boards or pieces. With some creativity and skill, anyone can make their own customized drinking games!
Advantages of Making Your Own Drinking Board Game
Making your own drinking board game is a fun and creative way to make sure you and your friends have an entertaining night. Not only will it be fun to play, but the advantages of making your own game are numerous. For example, you can customize the rules and settings to fit the interests of your group. If some people in your group don’t like certain types of alcoholic beverages, you can accommodate them by changing up the rules or materials to suit their preferences. Additionally, creating custom pieces for your board adds another layer of creativity; these pieces allow your group to create an environment unique to their tastes and wishes which can increase enjoyment and engagement levels. Furthermore, making a custom drinking board game is a wonderful opportunity for everyone involved to bond while they work together to create something they can all appreciate together.
Necessary Supplies to Create Your Own Board Game
In order to create your own DIY drinking board game, you will need the following supplies:
A large piece of cardboard or other stiff material for your board surface; thin pieces of cardboard or paper for game pieces; pair of scissors for cutting out pieces and boards; markers and/or crayons for drawing on the surfaces; craft glue or tape to attach game pieces to the board surface, a variety of decorative items such as glitter, beads, stamps, sequins, ribbons, etc. to add special touches. You can also choose to make handmade cards with questions or instructions relevant to the game. Finally, you may also want some dice and spinners so players can choose where they will move during their turn in the game.
Detailed Instructions for Creating a DIY Board Game
Creating your own drinking board game at home is easy and fun! Here are some detailed instructions on how to get started.
First, you need to decide on the type of board game you would like. Perhaps a classic Monopoly-style game or an edgy drinking version? Once you have your concept in mind it’s time to prepare the components of your game. You’ll need a large piece of cardboard or poster paper for the playing board, dice, markers (like bottle caps or miniatures), some drink and snack items if desired, writing materials such as coloured pens or markers and additional props (like miniature shot glasses, beer steins and other creative objects).
Now it’s time to start drawing! Design your board with all the different “zones” where players will land when they roll the dice. Each zone should be based around a possible activity – this is where all the fun and creativity comes into play! For example, let’s say one zone is called ‘Take a Shot’. When a player lands there they’ll have to take 1 shot of their drink. Or another could be the ‘Switch with Someone’ zone which requires the player who landed there to switch places with another player. Get creative with your design – surprise cards can also be added throughout for an extra bit of unpredictability.
Once your design is complete, get ready for play! Cut out some tokens that players can move around the board for each turn – think about assigning each person a specific colour so nobody gets confused as to whose turn it is . Now let’s start playing! Whoever reaches the end first wins; make sure you set up rules such as how much or little alcohol should be consumed during particular turns if anyone other than adults will be playing along. The most important thing is that everyone has fun!
Creative Variations of Drinking Board Games
Making a diy drinking board game can be both fun and rewarding. There are a variety of creative ways to make your own game, depending on what drinks you like and how much time you’re willing to put into it. Here are some ideas for varying types of drinking board games:
1. Beer Pong: This classic drinking game is an easy one to create, as all that’s needed are red solo cups, beer, some kind of launcher (could be anything from a string tied around two chairs to actual pong launchers) and a flat surface. It’s traditionally played by separating a line in the middle with teams standing on opposite sides trying to land the ping pong ball in the other team’s cup.
2. Drinking Quiz: Gather up some friends (who have also been drinking) and create questions related to pop culture topics or simply funny trivia-based questions. The team or individual with the most correct answers at the end wins, or if playing against yourself answer all the questions correctly to win!
3. Chug Races: Grab some long straws and head outside for a chugging race! This outdoor competition will surely get entertaining when multiple players compete on who can finish their drink first while sucking it up through straws connected to their cup or bottle facing them (or across from each other).
4. Dice Drinking Games: Roll dice layered with numbers designating certain drinking tasks like “Warm Up,” which means taking several sips of your drink; “Chug Half,” which requires chugging half the cup; “Switch Drinks” where players switch drinks amongst each other; etc. These games give off an exciting vodka roulette-style vibe but tailored for whatever beverage suits your group best!
Essential Tips for Hosting a Drinking Board Game Night
1. Invite the Right Amount of People: It is essential to invite the perfect amount of people for a drinking board game night. You don’t want to have too few, as then the socializing aspect may be missing, or too many, which may cause overcrowding with not enough seats and board game options.
2. Buy Suitable Drinking Games: Depending on your guest’s preferences, buy some fun drinking games that the group enjoys such as Beer Pong, Flip Cup, Card Games and so on. This will get everyone playing and having a good time!
3. Choose Fun Board Games: Have a variety of different types of board games for guests to choose from – this way if one group doesn’t like one type of game there will always be other options available. Pick classics like Monopoly or newer exciting board games – this ensures everyone is entertained throughout the entire night!
4. Have Refreshing Beverages Available: Make sure to provide plenty of non-alcoholic beverages such as water and soda for those who don’t wish to drink alcohol or just need something to hydrate throughout the evening. Also grab some pourable spirits for those who are looking to play around with more complicated cocktails during their game night.
5. Prepare Snacks: Nothing goes better with drinks than snacks! Have assorted treats available throughout the evening including chips, popcorn and candy – this way your guests won’t go hungry while they are engaging in their game nights!
6. Set House Rules Ahead Of Time: In order to ensure that everyone has fun in a manner that is safe and respectful, it’s important to establish ground rules at least before the festivities begin so that no one feels uncomfortable later on in the evening. This could include rules against excessive drinking and making sure everyone behaves respectfully towards each other regardless of any competitive behavior during the various board games!
Making your own drinking board game is an extremely rewarding experience. Not only will you have a great time playing with your friends, but you’ll also have created something completely unique that no one else has. It’s something you can look back on and be proud of for years to come. Plus, you don’t have to worry about finding the perfect game at the store or memorizing hundreds of rules beforehand; it’s all up to your imagination! Furthermore, it’s possible to find just about any components online when building your own board game, making it customizable to fit any preferences you might have. So why not give it a try? Grab some drinks and start crafting your DIY Drinking Board Game today!
I love playing all kinds of games – from classics like Monopoly to modern favourites like Ticket to Ride.
I created this blog as a way to share my love of board games with others, and provide information on the latest releases and news in the industry.